Thursday, July 13, 2006

Connections


People sometimes ask
Have you ever been in love?
I say no,
But we had a connection.

We met over a long weekend
It was an instance of recognition
I resisted and spurned his advances
I fought the attraction and tried to avoid him.

We shared lingering looks, our eyes followed the other.
Without words, our thoughts interlinked
Glancing looks and little smiles belying our inner jokes
Slowly, surely, our feelings encased us
No one else existed

We found a quiet spot and spent the night talking
Past histories, similar experiences
Everything laid bare
We understood each other.
That feeling of togetherness, most transparent in the presence of others
Our first kiss
Like millions of memories coming home
I knew him, he knew me.

Sometimes I catch a hint of his intoxicating scent
Find myself whirling round in expectance.
Other times a nostalgic memory comes to haunt me unexpectedly
I sit and ask myself
Was it all in my imagination?
Was it real?
Deep down I know
We had a connection.

No comments: