Obsession
A light flickers in his body
He can feel the tingle right to his toe-tips,
She has entered the room.
His eyes trail her as she works the party saying hi to different people
He marks her clothes, her shoes, her hair.
She is luminous.
As she shimmies closer,
He leans forward to get a whiff of her perfume - alluring …
Watches her moving further away
As she scans the room, her gaze catches his for the briefest second
Then continue their way across the crowd.
Realisation dawns, she is aware of him, but he might as well not exist.
He signals to the bartender to get her drink
Strawberry Bellini, unstirred.
She nods her thanks to the server but surreptitiously hands it to a friend.
She will have nothing to do with him.
A tall fair man glides into the foray
Our friend watches as her eyes brighten and she bestows a welcoming kiss
Ahh! The new guy
He gathers his things to leave.
He can’t bear to see her in another man’s arms
No amount of alcohol can send him to oblivion.
He reaches for his mobile but remembers his calls have been barred
The foyer compensates with a payphone.
“I love you. I always will.
I also forgive you.
End it quickly
Before he feels the pain, I do”.
5 weeks should be sufficient time for this new affair to peter out
Else he knows how to help it along.

No comments:
Post a Comment