Scenes
Him: Have you ever had a dog?
Her: Yeah. When I was two, I had a dog called chair.
Him: (quizzical expression)
Her: My parents said I could call him whatever I wanted so I called him chair
Him: hmm … so what happened to the dog called Chair?
Her: A table fell on it.
(I can’t actually take credit for this – it’s a scene from “The Secret Life of Us”)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was sitting in my room one night, minding my business.
A knock on the door,
My mum and aunt peer in
“I think you really need to see this”
With a little pique, I put down my book and get up.
In the kitchen is a big bowl of fried rice
A gift from my aunt
They called me out because I love fried rice
“Oh wow, thank you! It looks really good”
I grab a plate and start to help myself
“No oh!! This rice is for me. She brought it for me!”
My mother exclaims
“Yeah whatever, like you can finish it all by yourself anyway”
I continue spooning rice
(it was a small table spoon)
“Ok that’s enough”
My mother grabs the bowl and moves it away
I am holding a small side plate half filled with rice
“I’m hungry I haven’t eaten all day”
I state as I try to nudge her aside
“No!!! That’s enough. That’s enough for you”
She responds, most vehemently.
“Are you the person eating it? How would you know how much is enough for me?”
I ask still trying to push her aside.
“No! No more rice for you. And I don’t want to see your hand in it.”
I look at her quietly
I’m trying to judge whether or not she’s being serious.
“Ok. Don’t worry, I don’t want it anymore”
I place the plate by her side and walk out
“What do you mean you don’t want it anymore?”
She asks turning to me
“It’s ok. I don’t want it. I’m not that hungry. You called me out”
I respond as I head back into my room.
Half an hour later
My phone is ringing.
My mother.
I don’t pick up
Nor do I listen to the message.
An hour later
I get up and go to the kitchen to make pasta
“That rice would have gone cold”
My mother says as I pass by
“I told you that I don’t want it anymore. I am not going to eat it”
I make my pasta and go back to my room.
Much later, my aunt is leaving
I come out to say goodbye.
“Don’t mind your mother; I brought it for both of you”
“Aunty, don’t worry. I’m sure mummy will really enjoy it”
My mother sees her out.
I am watching TV in the living room when she returns
“So why were you being all sensitive about the rice?
Can’t someone joke with you anymore?”
I look at her wordlessly and with disdain
In faltering tones she continues
“I was just … I was playing with you so she would know how much I appreciated it”
I turn back to the TV.
“I didn’t think you were joking. And I didn’t want it anymore”
She stands there a bit longer. Then says
“Well … I’m sorry … if I embarrassed you.
I didn’t mean it”.
I carry on watching TV
Eventually she walks away.
A few days later my aunt comes to visit again.
I overhear her asking
“So did Noni eat the rice in the end?”
I don’t hear the response.

12 comments:
u were sparking for your mother?
LOLLLL!!!!!! I like your Mummy, she didn't even ignore you.
lol i can so relate!
Did this really happen? You and your mum ... I think you should do mummy mondays with a twist and tell us about your latest alceration (you word lol)!
S'up Noni Lovey,
Ah ah, why you dey vex 4 momsy now? But your mom even apologized, so you must have a really cool and 'hypertek' mom, lol. My mother won't even do so, lol. She will leave you in your funk, and if you don't eat the rice, she'll do it herself. LOL
Anyway... I updated love. All 4 u oh...
Loll - I am a spoilt brat and well aware. Please dont mind me.
About time Vera ;-)
Sometimes...
Even those who should knwo us like the back of their hands.. kinda reveal that they really don't see the full picture.. even though they'd swear to high heaven's that they do.
It happens.
In anycase, if you don't want the fried rice, I won't mind it. you know I love my food. :)
erm..
comment moderation gini?
Since when?
Dang.. please tell me the nefarious gobblins didn't grace us with their presence here as well?.
Loll - no. Someone made an anonymous comment and I suddenly realised that I might want to have some precautionary measures now that my blog is open.
You are one very stubborn chick..My mom would so not play that...LOL
Noni, what does ur name mean?
2nd of all, is it just me or does ur avatar look pissed? Wetin now? Is it still about the fried rice?
you told that so well...
you really are a WRITER :)
i officially love your mom. lol.
awww bet she felt bad...
you guys sound more like sisters...which i think is really cute.
funny how i used to think of mothers as being so... so beyond certain actions, but then again, i am at an age where I can have children, and i can sooo see myself being like that. lol.
Post a Comment