Monday, September 19, 2005

Confrontation

My name is Noni and I’m a fucking attention seeker and drama addict, not to mention commitment phobic. Infact my need for drama is destroying my friendship with people.

Ben and Tandy came round to the flat last night. I am still reeling from the aftermath.

There was no indication. I had just come back from a date with museum guy. Becky was talking on the phone. When she got off – she had this funny grin on her face.
“What’s up? What’s going on?” I asked.
“Ben and Tandy are coming over to the flat now” she whispered.
My heart stopped. Shock. Disbelief.
“Huh?” I asked dumbfounded.
“They are both coming over right now” she replied.
“No… what? WHAT???”
“Shhh…”she said. “this is good”
“GOOD? Good how??? What the fuck is he playing at? What am I going to do?” I yelled.
“Don’t worry. It’ll be ok. Just act normal” she soothed.
“Normal?” I thought to myself “nahhhh, I’m calling him right now. He cant bring Tandy here.”

I searched for my phone and called him but the bastard didn’t pick up. My heart started racing. What the fuck was I going to do? Till date, I was yet to explain to Tandy that we weren’t going out anymore and that it was over. I had no choice, I had to sit and await the outcome.

The doorbell rang. I decided to sit in the room till they were settled. I listened out in the hope that it was just Ben. No such luck. I heard both voices. Ben strolls into the bedroom. And he start mouthing.
“sorry there was nothing I could do.. he said he wanted…” he stopped as Tandy walked into the room.

“Hiiii” I smiled to Tandy.
“Hey yourself. How have you been?” he replied
“Fine. Just chilling, the usual” I answered with a hug. I started walking towards the living room and they followed. I settled everyone and offered drinks, food etc.

I made sure I sat on the floor – we have only one sofa in the house and Becky had perched herself on the other chair. The sofa is a three seater but the irony of me sitting between the two guys was too much, even for me.

“Why are you being so quiet – come and sit here” Ben said, patting the space beside him.
I just glared and grittly said “No thankssss”. That was my first indication that he was up to no good. They explained that they had been playing football just before coming. Oh joy – hence the testosterone and aggressiveness flowing in the air.

Ben set out to be a confrontational dick. It started of with the comments.
“Why are you being so quiet?”
“You’re really not being hospitable tonight… why?…She normally is you know” he explained to Tandy who just sat looking bemused.

Then it was the games. We decided to entertain ourselves by telling secrets. As that faltered, it became tell a secret about someone else.
“I know a secret about you.. “ Ben said pointing to Tandy
“You do?” Tandy asked
“… and you” ben continued pointing to me “… and … I don’t know anything about you.” Referring to Becky.
“Well that’s good then.” she laughed.
“That’s hardly fair!” said Tandy, so we shelved that idea.

Then came the say something nice about everyone else game. Mine was succinct
“Becky, I like your sense of fun. Ben – I like your ability to bounce back. Tandy… I like your ability to ignore the minor things.”
Silence as everyone digested my comments.
“Good” Ben pounced. “Yours was the best – particular to each person, as in, only they would know the true meaning. Very good.”
“I don’t understand my thing!” stated Tandy.
“It’s nothing that important… Just you overlook certain things… you know” I struggled to explain.

I went into the bedroom to get changed after a while and Tandy followed to “get an explanation for my comment”.
He casually stretched himself on the bed as I went through drawers looking for my pyjama’s. (I could hardly walk about in the next to nothing I normally sleep in with both of them there now could I? Anyone of them, yes, but both? That would have been asking for even more trouble.)

“So why haven’t you called me” – he asked?
“I’ve been buseee… why haven’t you called me?” I countered.
“I did call you. A couple of times in fact. It sometimes went to your voicemail.” He answered.
“You did?.. I never saw any missed calls. …
“I, know I called you. Even if I didn’t that doesn’t matter as the last time we spoke, I said you should call me when you were free and you never did. “ he interrupted.
“Well – it was just too hard… “ I said perching myself on the corner of the bed.
“What? And why aren’t you looking at me? I know you – you like to watch how people react to what you are telling them, so the fact that you can’t or won’t look at me is telling me something. What is it? What’s wrong?“ – he questioned with his eyes narrowing suspiciously.
“it’s just… ok…basically, I couldn’t quite….”I faltered
“Just spit it out” he demanded.
“Ok!

No comments: