Anonymous Commenters
I've been doing a lot of reading as opposed to writing - unless you count writing comments on other people's blogs. During my blog travels, I've noticed a disturbing trend, which is really bugging me.
What really pisses me off are the people who try and tell you what you should or shouldn't write and go to stupid lengths to say guess you are and attack you personally. Almost without fail, they are all anonymous and are either too stupid or unimaginative enough to actually write themselves, or not brave enough to put themselves out there - thus hiding behind the very thing they are trying to abuse. It also really pissess me off, because it stifles a lot of what could be very good, creative, evocative, heartfelt and naturally HONEST writing. It also prevents people from actually dealing with their problems. Who the hell is going to write that "My daddy still comes to my room every night" if they know that he's going to be getting it in an email within 30 mins?
Anyways, there is a solution to all this. If you're a blogger and not doing it cos you are an attention whore (loll - I admit to sometimes being one), and you want to block anonymous people from leaving stupid comments on your blog (especially if you often write provocative pieces) then in your settings (in the dashboard), go to comments and change the setting where it asks Who Can Comment? - pick the Only Registered Users option.
I know that unfortunately, there are a couple of commenters who do wish to be anonymous cos they write about personal stuff which may be painful etc. You can register without actually setting up a blog. You can also choose to make your blog unavailable to the general public. Hopefully this should prevent a lot of the stupidos from becoming a pest.

14 comments:
you nailed this one. those anonymous commenters are a right nuisance i tell you, hungrily devouring our thoughts like drug-crazed voyeurs, yet quick to jump on our backs with the criticism. why not just enjoy whats been said and moving on, or never visiting our pages in the first place? why act like the irritating, hypocritical puritanical idiots that we know them to be, and then leaving anonymous comments to boot?
isn't it amazing how they are always eager to hide their identities, so they can throw stones from behind concrete walls?
i have chosen to ignore them now. maybe thats the best thing to do.
I FEEL YOU. I don't allow anonymous comments on my page and I hate to read my fave blogs and see useless, closeminded people leaving comments without having the guts to stand up for what they have to say by signing their names to it. I commented on this last week or so cos I was frustrated about it and had had enough. Most of my fellow bloggers said to ignore them, which I do most of the times but I had just had enough that day so I definitely feel you.
Lolll - Lawunmi, "drug crazed voyeurs?" - I'm reminded of how much I (sometimes) love your wit. Good luck wit ignoring them. I was just particularly irritated today.
Ms May - thanks for reading my blog. Hopefully we will weed out the "useless closeminded people" one by one. The cowardly wankers.
Yep, you got that right. If you going to say something be proud and don't hide. DAMN some people can be so narrow minded. Think it's best to ignore them.. Shioooo..LOL. We both read the same blog-BMMP and like I said there, I couldn't have said it any other way, you hit the nail right on its head there.
girl i know how u feel i went to that particular blog i was so upset at the anonymous commenter i dont know why people cant just blog in peace i mean so what if you know the person does that mean u can leave comments telling them what and what not to blog about. later.
People have time. It is a blog, you can never be happy with what anyone says 100% of the time. If you don't like it, gerrout and go and do your work! They'll now be leaving judgmental comments like they are perfect.
I don't acknowledge rude anon comments, I just ignore them and leave my own comment on the blog I am visiting.
LOL. Great post. I have no problem with anonymous commentors EXCEPT when they are insulting and judgemental. That irks me...
:-) Thanks Uzo.
Nice blog!
You couldnt have said it any better... They annoy the hell out of me, and based on my blog,I give it to some people that might want to go anonymous but some are just outrightly and they are the nuisance we know them to be.
Anonymous are the ones that ask ridiculous questions..its just that its annoying!
the post is no more
I had been trying to post here since last night but it wasn't working..
I'm very used to anonymous commenters.. especially the one's who condemen my writing but spend 3hour and 34 minutes on my blog...lol...
heck of a lot of time to spend in a place youu don't like.
In anycase, I don't mind opeople disagreeing with me.. that's actually quite clue.. but there are ways of going about it..
If you chose to denigrate me, then depending on my mood the comment stays or it gets deleted. I don't have time for pesky lil' nonentities who live vicariously through other people's lives and have too many hang ups to confront..
I dealt with that stuff in primary school.. right now I'm just trying to be a good person...s hit.. If they want negativity they can keep it to themselves
Yup, just noticed the post has been removed too.
I think you hit it perfectly.The anonymous commenters are the worst. They decide to come to your blog and talk all types of trash that they don't have the guts to stamp their name on. I wrote a sex post last week and what do you know, BAM they were out to get me in no time flat, to bad the story I wrote was not true.
Post a Comment