Monday, November 27, 2006

Letting People Go – J & K

I spent some time thinking about relationships this evening (actually yesterday). I was telling a friend about my recent decision to cut 2 other mutual friends off. For a long time, I had been evaluating why I was friends with these 2 girls – let’s call them J & K. We were always having arguments about one thing or another. Maybe we were just too similar in certain aspects or we were incompatible, I don’t know. A lot of the problems we had went unresolved as we’d have a fight and not talk for ages then something would come up that would force us to drop it and speak (e.g. someone’s birthday, going on a holiday together that was booked months in advance).


The final straw with J came about 4 mths ago when she hung up on me. I HATE PEOPLE HANGING UP ON ME. I think it is the rudest thing you can do to someone. For me, it signifies that you really don’t care whether you hear from them or not – and she knows this. I’ve said it enough times and she’s tried it before. My reaction then wasn’t pretty but I dropped it at her sister’s intervention. Why did she hang up on me this time? There was a party one evening and I was rushing to get dressed. I’d just stepped out of the shower and was doing my hair when my phone rang:

Me – hey.
J – (shouting) SO WHY HAVEN’T YOU BEEN PICKING UP YOUR PHONE?
Me – What? When did you call me?
J - I’VE BEEN CALLING AND CALLING!!!
Me – Ahhnn? I was in the shower and didn’t hear my phone. I haven’t looked at it till you called me just now!
J – So why are you giving me attitude?
Me – What? You call me and first thing you do, is start yelling. What sort of response did you expect?
J – hisses and drops the phone.

I was sooooooo incensed, I called her back immediately.

“How dare you? You hung up on me AND YOU KNOW I HATE PEOPLE HANGING UP, YOU KNOW J YOU KNOW! This isn’t the first time you’ve tried it. You called me and I explained that I was in the shower and didn’t hear my phone ring. You call and start yelling on the phone and despite my explanation, you’re like - why am I giving you attitude? Just … you know what? Bye, J, Bye!”

(convo – not exactly verbatim but you get the gist)


Even now, I am infuriated thinking about it. This might seem very trivial and it may well be but for me it was the straw that broke the camel’s back (apologies for the clichés). She never called to apologise. Now I’m the kind of person who when I realise I’ve done something wrong, I immediately apologise. I refuse to believe that she didn’t think she had done anything wrong and I also refused to speak to her till she did. About a month later, her aunt died and the news filtered down to me. Despite all the pressure from my friends, I didn’t call her. It was sad news and I was sorry for her loss but I was still too angry to let it go. I’m not the kind of person that can call someone to wish them well and still have bad feelings towards them. To call her, I would have had to truly let it go and I just wasn’t ready to do that. It wasn’t even about the fact that she hung up on me anymore. Soo much time had passed that even if she apologised then, it would have been because she was pressured into it by other people, and not because she meant it. It felt like I meant soo little to her that she didn’t care about apologising.


A couple of weeks later it filtered down to me again that she wasn’t talking to me. Reading between the lines, I gathered this was because she felt I wasn’t supportive of her when her aunt died. Fair enough. She can play the victim. It made it easier for me to make my decision to cut her off. When you’re faced with situations out of your control, it’s best to change the things you can control. In this case, rather than stay angry in a situation that would obviously never be resolved, I would just cut her out of my life and let go of the anger. Hence we are no longer friends and I am no longer angry. I wish her all the best in life but as far as I’m concerned, she no longer exists in mine.


The second person, K, is another slightly trivial matter. To cut a long, silly story, short, she tried to be patronising and I showed her that no one can do PATRONISIN G like me :-D. She didn’t like it and got very rude. I responded by letting her know she was acting like a child and I told her off like one. If I can still find the emails, I’ll put them up cos they are quite funny. Anyways, she made it obvious she wasn’t happy when she failed to show up at the cinema later that night without any explanation and when she spoke to another friend about it, claiming she wasn’t talking to me. I smile at this because again this made my decision easier. I cut her off because I realised I just don’t want to be friends with her anymore, and that I don't have to justify it.


A lot of my (now fast dwindling) group of friends don’t understand this and have relayed fears that it’s only a matter of time before I cut them off as well. For me, I view every friendship as a relationship of sorts, and believe there should be give and take. If at some point you keep having arguments and never resolve the underlying issues, you need to evaluate these friendships and see what they do for you. In their cases, our relationships had issues and their latest actions were the final straw. I am infinitely happier now with my decision and realise that I don’t miss them. Which begs the question of why we were friends so long? As the friend I was speaking to said – I’m really friendly and outgoing so I make friends easily. Because I am such a good friend and always make such an effort, I tend to hold on to relationships that normal people would have let fizzle away because they were incompatible. One of my flaws, I’ve also come to acknowledge is that I’m a fixer. I tend to gravitate towards people who have problems so that I can help fix them. This may be because I want to avoid dealing with my own problems, or simply because I like to feel needed. However after a while, it tends to pile up. Someone told me about something bad that happened to her and I started to cry. I started to cry, partly because I felt bad for her but also because I thought “I can’t handle this right now, not with all of the other shit I have to deal with as well”


Anyways. It’s all done and dusted now. I’m happy and they’re happy. I’ve also been careful not to make anyone choose sides. I believe that our mutual friends can find a balance.

8 comments:

Uzo said...

Oh boy. I hate being hung up on. It really really bugs me. Friendships are relationships and both parties have be aware of each other. I am sure you did what you felt you had to. The bottomline is your happiness and peace of mind.

LondonBuki said...

Why is Uzo first? Why??? I am upset!

I will go and read the post now! What was the point of rushing to comment???

:-(
:-(
:-(

Noni Moss said...

Thanks Uzo.

Loll @ LB - I've given up trying to be first on your blog.

LondonBuki said...

I totally HATE people dropping the phone on me. I have to admit one day I was so mad at someone I was talking to on the phone that I threw my phone on the floor... ofcourse it cut off! And the phone did not break, thank God!

Seems like everyone is weeding out the crap friendships in their lives.

I am lucky (I think), I have very very few friends so I rarely go through situations like this.

Take it easy and think about you first.

Unknown said...

I'm all for weeding out rubbish friendships and you sound like you're well rid of them but I tend to think the best way to do it is how onada described in her post; no aggro, no feuds, just phasing them out slowly. I just think especially with the friends that once meant a lot to you, you shouldn't wait till you reach breaking point before you break it off but I guess realistically it it's only when something drastic happens that we're motivated to end these friendships.

And to be honest, I think it was a bit harsh that you didn't contact J when her aunt dies. I completely understand your reasons for not, but to me that says that you felt your reasons for not talking to her held more value than the fact that she was suffering a loss at the time.

These are just my thoughts. I thought it was a well written and quite personal post!

Noni Moss said...

Thanks LB - loll at throwing your phone down. Glad it didnt break. I;ve always owndered what it would be like to smash something in anger.

Thanks Vickii - you are ofcourse entitled to your opinion. You cant comoare me to Onada however as we are different people and our relationships with the people we cut off are also different. She wasn't particularly close to the people she cut off (i think) and I was. Also what may work for one person may not work for me. Besides, I did try phasing them out and they wouldn't let go - i started getting calls and emails about how i wasn't hanging out with them anymore or calling as much..

soul said...

that's kinda what happened with me and the cuz
i tried fazing out the friendship for a year and she wouldn't let me go..
She would call and I would be monosyllabic..why?
well this bitch lived 15minutes from me and would never come to my yard!
She would call me repeatedly on my house phone, and when I got home and she'd finally get me, she'd be like..
'why didn't you pick up the phone, I've been calling you all evening'.
I said to her once, you know I do have a life, I do go out you know...
she laughed.
I was like.. wow! you must really think that you are hot to def. and if that's the case, why are you always bugging me to go out with you??.

Got to the point where she invited me out to a friends party. I dunno this friend, I dunno anyone and the shindig was taking place at a private club up West. Bitch knows I don't drive anymore, arranged to meet at 9pm, 9 comes .. no show.
11 she texts me saying.. 'I'm here where are you'. I was like I'm at home!.
I mean do you think I'm that desperate to go to a party that I'll spend 25quid getting there, 10quid to get in (on the bloody guest list) and sit there on my own for 2 freaking hours waiting for your crazy ass, then spend another 25quid getting home.. when you invited me to your friends place...
I thought she'dbeen smoking crack!

Anyway, I've always thoguth when you are tired of taking bullshit, you are ready to let go...

Noni Moss said...

Well the fact that you're actually hoping you resolve it means you're still willing to work it at it so dont do anything/say anything that might come back and bite you in the ass. One of my friends read this post and said this:-

Your representation of things put two people who used to be your friend in a very bad light. It’s rather biased and people leaving comments on there know nothing of the history of banter that has gone on between you people to date. Doesn’t particularly put you in a good light either from where I’m standing. But it is what it is, it’s your blog and no one said you had to be fair about your reporting.

The point isn’t that you should have mentioned how long y’all been friends. Never mind, I have lots to do today, can’t start talking about this. What’s done, is done.

Now I dont see how saying that we were friends for a long time (J since secondary school & K since Uni) changes anything. I'm hoping most people can gather that we were once very close which is why I'm bothered enough to write this. Thinking about it more is pissing me off because somehow our years of friendship was not sufficient enough too prevent this or to stop them from acting out. Anyways ... I'm going to stop. I'm feeling angry and its really not healthy.