My Mother
I've read some lovely 'my mummy is great, I love her so' posts recently. Well, this is really nothing like that.
I love my mother to bits but damn she’s annoying! She’s forever doing something or the other to piss me off. Don’t get me wrong, she’s an amazing, wonderful woman who has done/will do anything for me but sometimes, sometimes she gets on my last nerve. Ok quick background, I had to give up my apartment some months ago at very short notice so I moved back home for a little bit till I got another place. One thing led to another and “for a little bit” became “indefinitely”. We’ve both had to adjust to living together again as we both need our own personal space. In the course of events, she has done several things that have pissed me off and unfortunately for her, I know what to do to get her back. I just don’t talk to her. One time I didn’t speak to her for about a week and she was almost in tears. (I’m evil I know)
Lately, I’ve had to work very late so I get home and I’m tired. All I want to do is de-stress and the easiest way for me to do this is to just sit in front of the TV for about 2/3hrs. The TV is in the living room as is her PC. Now 2 nights ago as I was watching TV, mummy darling turned her PC on, started playing a downloaded TV show, and left the room! [Note, she has headphones, she just chose not to use them despite the fact that she knew that I was already watching TV]. Really, it’s my fault cos I was the one who showed her how to download TV shows, and I was the one who helped set up her PC and fixed the sound system. I turned around in annoyance:
Me - “Mummy! I’m watching TV!! Can’t you turn it down? You’re not even watching it! Why must you have it on?”
Mother - “Because I’ve watched that bit already”
Me – (Thinking WTF??, IT IS A FLIPPING COMPUTER NOT A TELEVISION, but i cant be bothered to start explaining the concept) – “But mummy you know that I can’t watch TV when you’re playing that and you’re not even using your headphones …”
Mother – (shouting) "NONNII! Fi mi le, oh jare!!!!! (leave me alone) What? I’m going to put my headphones on when I start watching it.”
Me – Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (cursing in my head)
I packed up my stuff and stormed off to my bedroom. (I swear she makes me act like I’m 13 again). After a couple of minutes, I noticed it went quiet so I went back to the living room and saw that she was using her headphones so I resumed watching TV.
Now you’d think one of us (not sure who) would know better, but last night, I get back home and again I’m watching TV, when mummy dearest pops herself in front of the computer and starts watching desperate housewives, VERY LOUDLY WITHOUT HEADPHONES. I mean, how inconsiderate is that? I couldn’t even try (in pique) to turn up the volume of the TV as I’d lost the remote. The woman has been on leave for like a week now. She was home ALL DAY. YET, she had to WAIT until I WAS WATCHING TV before she decided that she was going to watch something on her computer. A damn TV show that she can watch at any other time for that matter!!! Aaaarrrggggghhh – I was/am soo mad thinking about it. At one point it got soo loud, I had to almost shout:
Me - “Mummy! Could you turn it down? I can’t hear anything!!”
Mother – “WHAT IS IT? Wo, leave me alone! Let me watch my thing in peace!”
Me – “But you turned it up!! I’m WATCHING TV AND I CANT HEAR ANYTHING!!!”
Mother – (roaring) “I HAVENT TOUCHED IT, THIS IS HOW IT HAS BEEN ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!”
Me – (thinking breathe … breathe …) Ok. Could you please reduce the volume?
Mother – That’s better! Tsk. (muttering something i didn't catch)
And she proceeds to turn it down the barest notch. I am thus stuck there with my face practically in the TV because I’m trying to watch TV and she’s watching her show.
Seriously the woman drives me up the WALL!!!!!!!!!
Ok that being said, unfortunately/fortunately (?) I can’t stay mad at her cos she goes and does something completely sweet and wonderful. I think she realised I was annoyed with her so she went and booked this appointment for me that I was told was previously impossible. She knows when I’m pissed off with her so she always does some little thing to make me laugh or forgive her. I don’t know what it is, maybe we’re very similar or we’re both just set in our ways. I can think of several other stories but I’ll save it for another time. I can see this becoming a recurring topic as she never fails to do something to wind me up.
Please note – I love my mother immensely and won’t tolerate anyone saying anything rude about her but I just like to vent :-D
I was this close (this close), to changing the sound settings on her PC so she can’t listen to anything but I thought that would be too mean. Plus we would probably start arguing over who gets to watch what, or who’s hogging the TV.
Anyways, let’s see what new torture she devises for me tonight. Have a nice night folks!

6 comments:
Ah mothers. They are really great. They know how to push your buttons and then turn around and make it all better...
:-D yeah she knows how to push my buttons just right. shaking my head in basic frustration.
yep...
mothers.. can't live with em, can't live without them. sometimes it seems mine was sent specifically to slowly torture me until I become exasperated and slowly lose my sanity.
LOL!!!! Typical Mother! You know she loves you, you love her but she finds one way or another to annoy you! My Mummy should get well kia kia so that she can start with me again!!
Hope this evening is better!
I can't believe you were thinking of changing the sound settings on her PC! LOL!!!
Ha ha ha ha ha hahahaha ... I can actually see this scene playing out in my head and while it's very frustrating for you two, I'm finding it very funny!
That's the thing about mums, you can have more fun with them than anyone else, open up more to them than anyone else but on the flip side they can push your buttons like no one else!
Looking forward to more 'what me and my mother argue about' posts!
LMAO... my momsi can be like that too... you both are too cute! I'd love to read more so me I can laugh at you acting 13 again.. hehe
Post a Comment