Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Poetry!!

In shameless bit of self promotion, please check out my two latest poems. Oddly enough they are about the same person. :-D (I'll leave you to work that out as you like)

In a random google search of the name of my poem, I came across David Weedmark. He's written several books and basically stolen (even though it's 3 years before my time - :-) my idea about writing poetry that is accessible to everyone and easy to read. Please see my favourite poem of his. I hope you appreciate it as much as i did.

Waiting in a Snow Covered Field

This evening,
in the midst of my silent longing,
I slipped away from the eyes
and expectations of evening guests
and sought perspective
in my coat and boots.
Through the lights of soft traffic,
I retreated to a seldom known pocket
of darkness in a snow-covered field I know
between brushes.
There I trudged through the loud crust of snow
until I stood alone in the centre of a city's shadow,
in a silence so calming to allow my pulse
to sing aloud.


And I stood unseen
by eyes behind draped windows,
or streetlights, or roaming distant headlights.


At first I turned slowly
beneath the moonless sky,
round and round again
as the stars revealed themselves
and for the first time this night
the distant wisps of chimney smoke
floating as breath in the breezeless night.
The glow of the city to the north
like a looming sunrise,
the bright of the suburbs to the southwest
like a setting moon
and above me,
the cool flesh of Venus,
swimming in random arcs
above my watering eyes.


Soft, I stopped moving and waited,
as the ice atop the snow
stilled beneath my boots.


I waited until I stopped tensing
at every unexpected sound,
every unwanted distant light.
I waited until my breathing steadied and slowed.
I waited until the sharp claws of cold
on my thighs and face began to fade
and release its hold on my skin.
And then, when I was certain I was alone,
I thankfully set my yearning
down at your feet.


I let fall my expectation, my angst,
my dreams and my fears.
I let fall my longing, my will,
my peace and my hope.
I let fall my smile and my frown
until all memories too
had slipped from my hold
to the snow all around me,
until I felt as an opened window
in a field of shadow and light,
unseen by a city,
unseen by the stars,
by the snow, by the air
or the cold sticks of trees,
or the footprints
leading to this moment.


And I waited longer still.
I waited until I was certain
I could wait in the snow forever.
I waited until the whole of my being
seemed to be reflected in the space
between the stars all around me.
And then from this silence of shadows,
from this very field,
your voice whispered to me
with the warmth of a lingering kiss,


"You are again in my arms, my love."

© Copyright 2003 by David Weedmark

2 comments:

soul said...

that was just just soo beautiful.. It made me want to cry..
It felt like I was taking a peak into some clandestine affair.
Like I could see this guy transformed slowly as he took his walk.. from a caged repressed 9 to 5'er to something else

Like you could almost picture and feel the him inside you opening up to become the free you and then in turn welcoming someone else in to share in that bliss.

Thank you for sharing this noni...

Naijadude said...

Aww...thats just a beautiful poem. Makes me feel like I am loved and someone out there remembers me!

Nice, and thanks for sharing!