Friday Song and other Thoughts
I’ve had several thoughts floating in my mind to blog about. I've written 2 seperate posts which i haven't put up - out of paranoia. I'm forced to realise that some people who read my blog know who i am and I am thus feeling a little restrained. I mean its one thing to have a bunch of strangers know weird personal things about you and it's another to give "friends" possible ammo to use against you.
Ok I'm rambling and probably not making very much sense, so I’m just going to put a couple of things up.
Poetry
Someone recently read one of my poems that was forwarded to him and his reaction was “Noni writes poetry???” I love the way people are a lot more interested in poetry. Half the blogs I read are written by some very talented poets. It seems like more and more people are getting into it and at least giving it a shot. I remember a time when poetry was seen as very stuffy, possibly elitist, and not something everyone in general could enjoy. That’s why I started Poetry for Urbanites because I would love for people who would not necessarily pick up a poetry book, to still be able to read a poem and appreciate the story it’s telling and its form. I want it to become a movement!
Some blogs with really good poetry (that is also easy to read) – apart from mine ofcourse ;-) - are Zaiprincessa, Mphalele, Soul, OWNB, and Olawunmi (although his is a bit more hardcore)
Music
Listening to my ipod on a random selection as always and this song comes up. This is my favourite Roots song ever and I think you all deserve to listen to this at least once in your life and the video has been described as “the best rap video ever”. I just love it as it shows a softer more melodious side to The Roots. But I love, love, love all their stuff regardless. Loll – for some people this might be seen as old school (guys, this was 1996! 10 years now! It seems like only a couple of years ago…) It’s bringing back memories… Think I need to go back to writing my 90s teen music piece. In the mean time, enjoy.
The Roots – What They Do.
Friday Song.
I just watched the christmas episode of Studio 60 and i fell in love with the new orleans tribute song. It is soo lovely and beautiful and everything christmassy that i had to put it up. (Plus this clip shows my absolute favourite scene in the whole show!) I think its time to start saying - Merry Christmas Guys!!!

16 comments:
I am FIRST!!!
GO BUKI, GO BUKI, GO!!!
I totally feel you - There are some things I would like to blog about but I know some people have figured out who I am... it's ok to have strangers analyze your posts and give you their opinions but not people that know you (SOMETIMES).
Poetry - I don't think I can even try to write poetry, I know what I am capable of and the way Poetry flows, ummmm I don't think it wil happen with me.
I like the way you guys (you and others you mentioned) write poetry - still poetry but an enjoyable read!
Studio 60, haven't started watching that yet. I am about to start Ugly Betty.
Lolll - olodo! What do you think of the studio 60 clip? Isnt it amazing?
Yeah i thought of that but I can wait. I'm going to start on lost, prison break, niptuck. :-D
That was a REALLY GOOD clip... I love the Music!
I heard Studio 60 isn't doing good in America... there are too many shows there!
I have watched all the Lost episodes they have showed in the US, they are taking a break till February!
Nip/Tuck - right now I am watching it from Season 1 cos I have only watched Season 3.
Prison Break - Never Really got into it. Might try it out...
Hmm - it was struggling but they are carrying it for the whole season and i think after this episode, we may see it come back. I dont know why it's struggling cos it is sooooooooo good!
I know Lost comes back in Feb - i was thinking of saving it till those start so i can watch it all in one sitting.
Prison break is fantastic - how could you not watch it? My Wenty is just amazing! His eyes!!!! He's just too yummy.
YOUR Wenty? LOL!!!
Yeah he is Yummy, I have to agree!
Hell yeah MY Wenty! Dont you know my full name is Noni Moss-Miller? He agreed to let me use my maiden name of Moss so i have my own seperate identity. :-D
Right... whatever you want to believe! LOL!
Noni Moss, How do you have labels(e.g. Some Poetry) on your blog? I'd like to have labels on my Mummy Monday posts... did they come with this blog template?
Yeah - are you on beta blogger? Think it only works on that.
If you go to edit posts in your dashboard, you can either select (by ticking the check boxes) all the Mummy Sunday posts and at the top where it says Label Actions ..., click on the little arrow and select Apply label - New Label.
You can also go to each post and at the bottom, next to Post options, tjere's a little space for you to write "Labels for this post". Show All will show you all the past labels you've created so you can select by clicking one or as many as you want. You can thus do this everytime you write a new post.
Let me know if you have any problems.
Hmmm... I am not on beta blogger. I have heard some horror stories e.g Temmytayo and I will cry if I lose any of my posts!
Thank you.. it definitely looks like it is a Beta Blogger feature.
I lurrrrrved this video!
And the groove of this song was just soo smooth.
too smooth.
I dig the roots cos it's just good music, makes sense and hot to def.
i like their collabos as well,
the one with Amel, of course one of my all time favs is the extended live Jill Scott collabo, the collabo with musiq..
Yep. The roots make it into my sphere any and every day.
oh and good looking out, I struggle to call what I write poetry.. really struggle.. it 's more spoken word lol.. and I never really think it translates very well.
It's like whenI'm writing, the emphasis on certain words are key, there are pauses.. inflictions and altered pronounciations.. but most importantly I guess i just write what I feel.
I really admire the way yuou put your words down, as well as everyone you've listed and many many others...
so erm I'm going to stop now, cos erm I'm getting emotional, don't ask me why... i just am
I can't listen to the music because I'm at work and I don't have speakers but I really want to hear the new orleans tribute song!
@ Buki, Prison break is one of the best shows ever, start at the beginnning and just see if you can make yourself stop! Oh and noni, we've had this conversation many times, he's not your wenty, he's my wentworth ... why would you go and start posting random inaccurate info on your blog??? Why?
See I knew you were going to say this - i was tempted to write "MY Wenty (yes Vickii, MY WENTY)" but i thought, ahh, no need she knows better.
I'm the one with his name and his ring on my finger so .... :-p
@ Soul - ok honey. All i said was you write nice poetry (spoken word - whatever you want to call it) no need to start blubbering all over the gaffe!!! Lollll, gaffe - another of those British slangs I detest.
lol
Abeg fall back and let me breath jare!
I'm gonna blubber all over and you better have tissues handy.. oh and a plate of jollof wouldn't go amiss...
plz ppl just because me I don't have tv on residence.. don't make me feel bad cos i won't get to watch your prisoners break for wowo betty or lost and found.. or any of that stuff.. but boy am I excited to be named as a poet.. lmao.. that's funny though cos i never really call anything I write poetry.. just because I guess i've read great poems right and I don't think anything I write is close(but I guess I learn as i go along right?) and another thing is with rhyming.. I don't think i've ever written anything that rhymes.. except when i was 13 or something.. but thanks anyways.. all the other ppl you mentioned ROCK!!! including you... you know I was one of the first readers of your poetry for urbanites blog.. been hooked ever since!oh and i'm terribly excited to be let in on your blog!! yay I can still come and do small small American amebo!!!
Post a Comment